Mission & Program Benefits
Freshman Summer Bridge is a 6 week academic and residential program offered under the umbrella of the Freshman Summer Edge Program. The curriculum for the program is designed to help new SSI students make the best possible academic and social transition to UCI. Students earn UCI credit and get a head start working towards their degree while meeting other new students, staff and faculty.
Freshman Summer Bridge 2019 Dates:
- The program will take place from August 3 – September 12, 2019.
- Deadlines to Apply
- May 27, 2019
- (Be aware that the deadline for submitting both the 2018-19 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application and 2019-2020 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application is May 27th; the sooner you are able to do this, the better!)
- Residential Move – In Date
- Saturday, August 3rd, 2019
- Residential Move – Out Date
- Thursday, September 12th, 2019
- Classes Begin
- Classes for Freshman Summer Bridge begin on Monday, August 5th, 2019 (*Some classes may also begin on August 6 or 7. Check your class schedule.)
Summer Bridge Scholars Program Components
Summer Bridge Scholars will attend Student Parent Orientation Program (SPOP 5): August 2nd-3rd, 2019
Classes begin August 5th, 2019
Summer Bridge Scholars will begin two courses (for a total of 8 units) in the summer before their freshman year.
BRIDGES TO UNIVERSITY SUCCESS
- Prepares students for UCI writing expectations and requirements, introduces the role of research university, and builds students’ understanding of campus resources.
MAKING OF MODERN SCIENCE
- Examines developments in science & mathematics (workshops + activities)
BRIDGE PROGRAM BENEFITS
PERSONALIZED SUPPORT & ADVISING:
Student Success Initiatives is always an open space for Summer Bridge scholars. All counselors within SSI have an open door policy to serve students. However, if students need extensive services and guidance, they can also schedule an appointment with the Summer Bridge Scholars Coordinator HERE.
Summer Bridge Scholars are required to schedule one meeting per quarter with the Summer Bridge Scholars Coordinator. This meeting would encompass conversation regarding any academics/classes, resources, opportunities on-campus (jobs, internships, volunteering, etc.), and any personal support needed. Scholars are encouraged to visit and meet more often than once a quarter if they wish to have more support.
Workshops specifically for Summer Bridge Scholars will take place throughout the year. Attending these workshops will be beneficial for transitioning and thriving at UCI. Workshops will consists of a range of topics, including: CalFresh program, time management and study skills, holistic healing, summer planning, graduate school preparation, etc. Certain workshops may be collaborative with other workshop initiatives occurring at Student Success Initiatives and the Transfer Student Hub.
LARC TUTORING SCHOLARSHIP:
UCI offers on-campus tutoring through the Learning and Academic Resource Center (LARC). Typically, this tutoring service costs $110 per quarter. However, through the scholarship, Summer Bridge scholars can have their LARC tutoring paid for by SSI. Summer Bridge Scholars are required to complete an online scholarship agreement form and must adhere to the terms of the agreement every quarter.
By enrolling in the Summer Bridge Scholars program, students will be eligible to receive priority registration for classes every quarter. Priority registration allows scholars to register for classes before a majority of the undergraduate population does.
BOOK LOAN PROGRAM:
Summer Bridge Scholars may borrow available textbooks, at no cost to them, through the Gateway Initiative Book Loan Program. Scholars may check out up to two textbooks or course materials per quarter.