The Summer Bridge Program is open to qualified first-generation, low-income students and students from disadvantaged backgrounds/circumstances. If you think you may be eligible, please apply.
If you qualify for the California Dream Act, you are eligible to apply for the Summer Bridge Scholarship. Please be sure to contact our office ASAP so that we can work with you on any residency issues by emailing Janet Perez-Molina at email@example.com with the following subject line: Summer Bridge-residency verification.
All Freshman Summer Bridge students will take University Studies 84, Bridges to University Success, and Logic and Philosophy of Science 60, The Making of Modern Science.
University Studies 84, Bridges to University Success, is a 4-unit class taught by a faculty member, a team of peer discussion leaders and graduate student teaching assistants (TA). The faculty member will address a wide range of topics that are important to your success at UCI, sharing with you approaches, opportunities and resources. Following the lecture, your discussion section will meet to discuss course topics. You will also meet regularly with your TA where you will receive writing instruction and assistance. You will also participate in academic, study skills and lifestyle activities with fellow students outside of regular class meetings. University Studies 84, Bridges to University Success, will help prepare you to get the most out of your UC Irvine experience, give you a head start, and provide pointers on expectations for University writing. You will also get to know incoming students and current successful UCI students.
Logic and Philosophy of Science (LPS) 60, The Making of Modern Sciences, is a 4-unit course that looks at science from the perspective of both history and philosophy. It examines developments in science and mathematics since the Scientific Revolution, and investigates their significance for contemporary philosophical debates about current scientific theories. It is similar to, but smaller than, many of the classes you’ll be taking during your first two years at UCI while you fulfill your General Education requirements (it fills one of them) and explore areas of interest that may fall outside your major or lead to a new major or minor.
Bridges to University Success is a large lecture class (150+ students) with small discussion and writing sections (20-25 students). The other required Bridge class (The Making of Modern Science) is limited to Bridge participants and, as a result, is smaller.
Freshman Summer Bridge will be limited to approximately 87 students. Space is limited and eligible applicants will be admitted first-come, first-served, so apply early!
All Freshman Summer Bridge students will live on campus in Arroyo Vista. Most houses will have between 24-32 students living in shared double rooms with one Resident Advisor per house. There will be activities in the residential area programmed by the Freshmen Edge program and their Resident Advisors.
Most students eligible for Freshman Summer Bridge will have all of their expenses covered by the Summer Bridge Scholarship. Some students who do not meet the requirements for full aid may be offered partial scholarships. To determine financial eligibility, a 2018-19 FAFSA/California Dream Act AND a 2019-20 FAFSA/California Dream Act must be received by May 27th. If you already have already filed a 2018-19 and/or 2019-20 FAFSA/California Dream Act, please be sure that UCI is authorized to view it by adding the school code=001314.
The Freshmen Edge website discuss a program open to all students that does not require living on campus and has more course flexibility for freshman applicants. Students eligible for financial aid can also get financial assistance for Freshman Edge.
While not for everyone, the small cohort experience you get with Bridge can be particularly helpful. You will be living and learning with a small group of students from similar backgrounds to your own and have staff and students who will work with you to make the most of your experience. Students who have participated in past Bridge programs formed friendships and support systems that lasted throughout their time at UCI and beyond. It is also the gateway to continuing services through UCI’s Student Success Initiatives (SSI) with year-round advising, mentoring, tutoring, workshops, study space, and more. Browse this site to learn more about SSS.
Want to learn more and/or apply now?
Visit the Summer Session website and click on Freshmen tab to learn more about the different programs available.
Make sure you apply for Freshman Summer Bridge Scholarship and Program Application by May 27th, 2019. If you would like to hear what a student’s experience was in the Summer Bridge program then click here to lean more about Christina Rodriguez and her participation in Summer Bridge.
- Prospective Summer Bridge Program participants can access and fill the Freshman Summer Bridge Scholarship and Program Application online using the EEE survey tool.
- As part of your application, you will need to submit your response to the following questions: Why are you interested in participating in Summer Bridge? How do you think your participation in Summer Bridge will benefit your experience at UCI? Please describe how your background (first generation, low income, and/or disadvantaged background/circumstances) can be an asset AND a challenge to you at UC Irvine.
- We recommend that you prepare your answer ahead of time in a Word document and then copy and paste your answers into the application.
- Prospective students must check their UCI email. Student Success Initiatives staff will be contacting you through your UCI email.
- Once a prospective student receives notification of admission via email, Student Success Initiatives staff will contact them and they are required to submit an additional form and a $181 deposit to reserve their spot in the program, within a week of acceptance.
-Please note the $181 will be returned to student in full upon completion of Summer Bridge Program.
- Housing for entirety of program at Arroyo Vista
- Student Orientation
- 3 classes that will count for credit at UCI
- $450 ZotBucks card that can be used for food, books, school materials at most campus eateries and the bookstore.