Mission Statement: Provide incoming, low-income and/or first-gen students an opportunity to make the best possible academic and social transition from high school to UCI. Students earn UCI credit and get a head start working towards their degree while meeting other new students, staff and faculty. Scholars receive additional benefits throughout the academic year including personalized guidance from a professional staff member, peer mentoring, priority enrollment, tutoring scholarships, and skill/community building workshops.
Summer Bridge 2023
Program Dates: August 3, 2023 – September 14
Move-in is on August 3rd, 2023; classes commence on August 7th, 2023.
Summer Bridge Discussion Leaders will run a twice weekly (approx. 1 hr) section with approx. 20 first-year students during Summer Session II for University Studies 84 courses. Discussion Leaders are expected to reinforce lecture content, help students develop meaningful connections with their peers, help students access campus resources and serve as role models and mentors. Discussion sections should complement the lectures and other materials provided by the instructor as well as the Summer Bridge-sponsored co-curricular activities.
- Be enrolled as a full-time UCI undergraduate student in Fall 2023.
- Have at least a 2.7 cumulative GPA and be in good academic standing
- Have experience facilitating group discussion and peer learning
- Have experience working effectively on a team
- Able to commit 8-10 hours a week preparing and facilitating a discussion group, attending class lectures (MW 4-6:20pm) and attending weekly Discussion Leader meetings
- Able to commit to the position for the 2023 Summer Session II (August 7- September 13, 2023) & several training sessions prior to Summer Session II
- Maintain attendance and assignment records for all discussion section students
- Communicate effectively with students, peers, and staff
- Have an understanding of and experience with working with diverse populations
- Have an interest in and awareness of the high school to college transition
As a successful Discussion Leader, you will benefit from the following opportunities:
- Share information and be a valuable resource to incoming UCI students
- Serve as a positive role model and mentor to incoming UCI students
- Strengthen your teamwork, leadership, communication, and presentation skills
- Gain hands-on experience with developing meaningful learning experiences
- Make yourself a more competitive candidate for scholarships, internships, graduate school, and other future career opportunities
Remuneration: $18.40 /hour, working 8-10 hours per week of Summer Session II in addition to training.
If hired, Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) is required. This requires you to provide documents verifying your eligibility to work in the USA.
If you are interested in applying, please go to: https://forms.gle/vtFP7o4vK1svhnhYA
Applications are due Monday, May 8, 2023 by 11:59pm PST